- Team Arizona's hinged roof, which moves to match the angle of the sun's rays
- Team Missouri's eco-roof and wall materials, harvested from crops grown in the state, including sorghum and oak
- Team California's instantly-hot showers, which work by circulating water through a heat pump activated by a bathroom motion detector
- Team Boston's micro-inverters, which power a few solar panels each and cost a fraction of the price of a regular photovoltaic electricity converter
- Team California's and Virginia Tech's use of iPhone apps to control the homes' solar-electric, entertainment, heating and lighting systems
- Team Boston's windows, developed with Hunter-Douglas, which combine gas, gel and air layers to form a heat-absorbing wall when the sun hangs low in the winter; heat radiates throughout the house when the sun sets.