Most people are aware that lead isn't great for you—immediate side effects can include nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain. If the lead poisoning continues, the victim can eventually die, typically from kidney failure. In 2006, a child died after swallowing a small lead charm—eating an entire computer's worth of the metal is a viable way of ingesting enough to kill. So how did Lotito survive? In the child's case, the lead charm got stuck in the kid's stomach, where acids slowly broke it down. If it hadn't, the piece of metal would have passed through the digestive system quickly and would have caused less damage, according to Helen Binns, a professor of pediatrics and preventative medicine at Northwestern University's Feinberg School of Medicine. "If you had a fishhook that got stuck in your intestines, that would cause problems," she says. "If you swallow a bead or something like that, it just passes through your bowel."