When lab accidents result in death or serious injury, human error is usually to blame. In 1997, Elizabeth Griffin, a 22-year-old primate researcher at Emory University, wasn't wearing goggles when a rhesus monkey flung feces into her eyes. She died of complications from herpes B six weeks later. In 1996, chemistry professor Karen Wetterhahn inadvertently dribbled some dimethylmercury onto her gloved hand during a routine transfer in a Dartmouth College lab. It seeped through her glove and, 10 months later, she died of mercury poisoning. And in 2009, Sheharbano Sangji, a 23-year-old lab assistant at the University of California at Los Angeles, wasn't wearing the required flame-resistant lab coat and died from burns after a chemical fire ignited her sweater.