Shira Feder covers tech, science, and health. She holds a master’s degree from the Craig Newmark Graduate School of Journalism and has written for The Washington Post, Vox, The Daily Beast, Business Insider, and other publications. She has received two awards from the Society of Professional Journalists for her reporting.
- Obsessively curious writer with a knack for finding the tech angle in everything
- Strong believer in making information about tech and science accessible to everyone
- Past byliner for Business Insider, The Daily Beast, HuffPost, The Washington Post, Travel + Leisure, and The Forward
ExperienceShira has been writing about science, tech, and culture for over five years. She’s worked at Business Insider and The Daily Beast, and has freelanced for publications like The Washington Post, HuffPost, and Travel + Leisure. Her work has covered everything from COVID-19 to extending the human lifespan to robo-butlers in hotels. She was a recipient of The Open Notebook’s early career science journalism fellowship, and has also been interviewed on NPR about her work. Shira believes every story published in the news today has a tech angle.
EducationShira graduated from the Craig Newmark Graduate School of Journalism at CUNY with a Master’s in journalism. While at school, she won a Radio In-Depth Reporting Award from the Society of Professional Journalists for an audio documentary she made on alleged abuse in New York nursing homes.
Favorite weird science factHumans have their own kind of glowing bioluminescence, but our eyes just can’t see it.
- Understanding the global chip shortage, a big crisis involving tiny components Popular Science
- A brief history of shuffling your songs, from Apple to Adele Popular Science
- The FCC wants to crack down on SIM swapping, a common form of identity theft Popular Science
- How a low-cost ventilator was created, FDA-approved for emergency use, and placed in New York hospitals in 30 days Business Insider
- Scientists Have a Plan to Make Humans Accept Robots: Give Them a Sense of Humor The Daily Beast