The recent death of 10-year-old Alton Banks has fueled concerns about the danger of exposure to fentanyl. Banks went to a local community pool, and when he returned, he began vomiting. By that evening, he was unconscious and pronounced dead at the hospital, with the dangerous mixture of heroin and fentanyl detected in his system. Authorities currently believe that he may have been accidentally exposed to the drugs at the pool or on the walk back to his house. But, although fentanyl can be absorbed through the skin, it's not the most likely route—William Matthews, a physician assistant and project coordinator at the Harm Reduction Coalition's Overdose Prevention Program, says he's never heard of such a case from active users.