Foxglove’s common names—dead man’s bells, witches glove, and bloody finger—should be a pretty good tip-off that you don’t want to mess with it. Foxglove is a non-native, short-lived perennial that grows to seven feet and puts out bell-like flowers in its second year. The flowers are usually purple, although cultivated varieties may be yellow, pink, or white. Beloved by gardeners for its good looks and hardiness, it has become naturalized throughout the U.S., especially along roads, rocky outcroppings, and in gardens, including in schoolyards. And every bit of it—seeds, flowers, stems—can kill you if ingested. Foxglove is the source of a powerful steroid used to produce Digitalis and other drugs that treat heart failure. The right dose can restart a stalled ticker if given in time. The wrong dose—and the difference with foxglove is razor-thin—kills you. Consuming any part of the plant usually leads to nausea, dizziness, vomiting, and diarrhea. In lethal cases, victims experience convulsions and cardiac arrest. Gardens are lovely, but don’t let one kill you.