Changing swords into plowshares and spears into pruning-hooks is an ancient metaphor for turning away from violence and toward peaceful labor. Mike Izbicki, a former Navy midshipman who in 2011 was discharged from service as a conscientious objector, has created a modern-day, literal interpretation of the analogy. He recently transformed an AK-47 that had been used by the Romanian army during the Cold War into a (rather heavy) serving ladle. Here's how he did it:
1. Disassemble the gun: Assault rifles are filled with interlocking parts, many of which don't lend themselves particularly well to reforging. Izbicki took just the metal barrel assembly for his ladle.
2. Set up the anvil: When not busy falling on cartoon character's heads, an anvil serves a vital purpose in metalwork by providing a strong, hard surface against which metal can be shaped by hammer blows. Izbicki purchased an anvil and 5-lb hammer online for $80.
3. Make a forge: Izbicki stacked cinderblocks on top of a large propane stove burner to create his forge. Temperatures inside the cinderblock chamber rose above 2,000 degrees Fahreinheit.
4. Hammer time: Once the metal gun barrel was red-hot from the furnace, Izbicki hammered it against the anvil to change its shape from gun-like to mess-like.
5. Hammers, part two: After removing extra caked-on metal with pliers, the next step was shaping the flattened barrel into a rounded body that could hold liquid. Izbicki accomplished this by hammering the spatula-like shape at an angle.
6. Don't eat with it: Even if the barrel turns into a perfectly smooth and liquid-bearing spoon, this tool should not be used with real food. A gun that's been fired has gunpowder residue on it, which is full of lead and can cause adverse health effects when inhaled or ingested.
Of course, the point of this project was to render the gun useless, not to create a practical utensil. It isn't plowshares or prune hooks, but it is one less gun.
Consider it per-forge-mance art.
See more of Izbicki's project here.
That spoon looks fairly deadly to me.
I kind of got the idea that POP SCI was anti gun rights, but this is just ridiculous. Did we really need a story on how to turn a useful tool into a spoon that can't even be used for food? This is not science this is not popular... start living up to your name.
Ace, if you look at the URL for this site, you'll see it ends in .com. That means this is a commercial site, which means their purpose isn't to provide unbiased information about science that is popular. It means their purpose is to make money. If they have a successful business model catering to left-leaning individuals and it's working for them, then they are doing their job properly. Welcome to Capitalism.
I would rather change a soup ladle into an ak-47. This is the dumbest article I have ever read on here. It was so dumb that after 2 years of reading this site, I had to register so I could comment on how dumb this article is.
How to turn a soup laddle into an AK 47 -
(1) I'm only going to discuss the barrel assembly (which isn't even the "gun" since the gun is the upper reciever).
(2) Gather several steel soup laddles, melt them in a cruicible in a very hot furnace (crucibles can be purchased online and the furnace can be similar to the one described above). Pour it into a mold to make a bar of solid steel. Alternately you can simply buy a bar of steel.
(3) Using a .28 inch drill bore a hole through the bar of steel using a drill press. Rifleing can be added with a tap purchased online or made yourself.
(4) Drill out the chamber using your press drill and a 7.62X39 shell as a guide for fit.
(5) At this point all you have to do is drill the gas port, thread the ends (a standard pipe threader will do), add the other furniture, spot weld it on, and assemble it with the rest of the firearm parts.
Crazy how much easier it is to destroy a functional tool with a hammer and anvil than it is to create one. This amature couldn't even get a spoon right.
Might I also add that using 1000+BC technology to turn 1947 technology into 6000BC technology (a blunt instrament only useful for beating things with) is the OPPOSITE of technology and progress.
Add to that this hypocracy is on the same page with an article boasting about 80+ years of ARMED MILITARY using naval planes and drones.
Is Bloomberg's ink still wet on that check, PopSci (Populist Socialism)?
More people die from eating poorly than from the AK47. Oh and can this so called science magazine please get back to actual science instead of posting useless garbage like this?
The term "assault rifle" implies that this is the same fully-automatic rifle that militaries use. Please stop this politicized bull and get back to science.
I feel obligated to warn you to delete your comments. As this is a publicly accessible website, we run the awful risk of someone in another country reading your post, learning how to make a gun, and taking over the world. To prevent this from happening, the Department of Homeland Security may decide to arrest you and lock you in a dark hole for all eternity. So for your sake, and that of the world, please delete your post!
The guy who made that ladle is seriously stupid. Who spends a couple hundred dollars on a gun, $80 on equipment, and probably hours and hours of time, all to make a spoon that will kill you if you use it? Instead of shooting someone, he is offering them a slow and painful death from heavy metal poisoning or whatever else can result from using the spoon.
On a completely unrelated point, the PopSci spam filter is junk! there are hundreds of spam posts all over this website that never get removed, and yet they routinely flag my comments as spam and make me enter CAPTCHA's to post them.
Thank you for the kind warning, arathorn867, but since every bushbeater in the 3rd world already has an AK47 (and a real select fire one, not a semi-auto milled out Romanian WASR10 like I have and the loser destroyed) I have no fear that someone will take over the world with my poor description of ineffective and inefficient metalwork.
Rather, it would seem the only thing I have to fear is HLS getting their panties in a wad over me - and I own more than enough firearms, legally purchased with background checks and all the rest, to already be on their lists (and BAFTs as well).
I doubt they would come for me, however, since I am sufficiently patriotic, law abiding, respected, and armed that it would be another Ruby Ridge PR nightmare for them to try (and that is the kind of PR they do not want, considering how many barely stable people out there are waiting for an excuse to start shooting "the gubbermint").
It's an AK-47 so it will still fire.
What is a spoon without a dish or pot, lol?
Shooter kills a bunch of kids, blame the gun. Bomber blows up a bunch of people, blame the bomber.
All my guns must be defective because none of them as ever killed anyone.
But man, those damn spoons keep making people fat though.
I believe you mean DoS...?
I used to see a magazine on the newsstands years ago that had something to do with articles about explanations of new science for the average person. It was a lot of fun because it was a good place to find new gadgets and interesting ideas about a lot of things.
I will have to find the website for that magazine one day. I thought it was Popular Science (which there ought to be a lot of in these modern times) but Popular Science seems to be filled with stupid crap all the time.
Maybe some idiot editor will do their readers the favor to come forth and explain what articles like this have to do with "science" -- whatever you may think of AK47s.
Oh, look! I can take any random hunk of metal and beat it into another shape that is just a useless piece of junk! That is major research, right there.
Change the name of the magazine to Idiots On Parade if you are going to post this kind of nonsense.