Happy Fourth of July! And happy Canada Day to our neighbors to the north, though there doesn't happen to be any maple leafery in this week's Baarbarian-inked This Week in the Future illustration. There are fireworks, though. And who doesn't love fireworks? Especially in ultra-slow motion.
Want to win this particularly explosiony Baarbarian illustration on a t-shirt? It's easy! The rules: Follow us on Twitter (we're @PopSci) and retweet our This Week in the Future tweet. One of those lucky retweeters will be chosen to receive a custom T-shirt with this week's Baarbarian illustration on it, thus making the winner the envy of their friends, coworkers and everyone else with eyes. (Those who would rather not leave things to chance and just pony up some cash for the t-shirt can do that here.) The stories pictured herein:
- New Mexico Wildfires Threaten Los Alamos Labs, America's Nuclear Research Hub
- Experiment Creates Advertisements to Sell Food to Monkeys
- Fireworks + Explodables + Ultra-High Speed Phantom HD Camera = The Best Fourth of July Video
And don't forget to check out our other favorite stories of the week--we work really hard on these!
- Point/Counterpoint: We Need a System of Internet IDs
- Point/Counterpoint: Internet IDs Are a Terrible Idea
- Concepts & Prototypes: Two Next-Gen Nukes
- First Successful Use of Genome Editing In Living Animals Cures Hemophilia In Mice
- Want a Space Suit? You Just Might Find One at an Auction
- Google's New Google+ Social Network Challenges Facebook, Promotes (Safe) Sharing
- Silver Ballpoint Pen Can Draw Functional Electronic Circuits on Paper
- Video: A Dolphin-Like Speedboat That Can Reach 50 MPH and Launch 18 Feet Into the Air
- After Thousands of Years of Research, We're Still Trying to Figure Out Static Electricity
- How The First Crowdsourced Military Vehicle Can Remake the Future of Defense Manufacturing
- Are We Prepared for a Catastrophic Solar Storm?
- Is The New TDL-4 Botnet Really 'Indestructible?'
- Your Set-Top Box Is Murdering Your Electric Bill. Here's What You Can Do