Oh, lets not forget....
"...There are four classifications of parasites. 30% live in our digestive systems while the other 70% live all over our bodies including, the blood, and all organs including the brain and even in our eyes and sinus cavities. There are over 1,000 types of parasites in these four classes that can live in the human body..."
Yes, cook that meat and cook it well done. Because if you do not, there little critters are there and ready to make a new home in you!
Something tells me not to read this article... so I won't! I'll pointlessly comment instead. Enjoy your cottage pie people! :)
"you could be chewing the flesh of over 1,000 individual animals simultaneously"
They must have had to detract the article because it does not display on my computer, ipad or phone. Just the photo. Maybe McDonald's is one of their sponsors...
Where's the article? There's nothing here but six photos with notes. No full article can be found.
There is a link to the right of the big mealball. It takes you to 1 of 6 separate mini articles. You simply step through each of 6 in turn.
I buy only Choice ribeye steak and pan fry it at very high heat.
I sear both sides til crisp and keep a little pink in the middle.
For burgers, I pick out a 2 Lb. chuck roast and have it ground by the butcher.
Rather than wait, I continue shopping and come back for the ground beef.
Again, I pan fry and leave a touch of pink.
Horse meat is leaner than beef, and unscrupulous marketers add it to ground beef because it is a darker red than beef (and cheaper), and makes the mixture look fresher.
In France, there are butchers that sell all kinds of meat, and then there are specialists that sell only horse meat, and others that sell only pork.
Well, too bad there's no article here to comment on.
Move along folks, nothing to see here.
HEre ya go:
Pink Slime. I just said it! ;o)
The fact that PS receives "data" from PETA does not surprise me. A few years ago it would have, but not lately. The words "popular" and "science" used to reflect in roughly equal proportions in this magazine, tipped a little in favor of "science". Now, not so much. I am not saying that PETA is wrong, exactly. I am saying that they have a well-established bias, which should be vetted before being repeated. Did you see anything anywhere in this article that stated the PETA info had been fact-checked, or reviewed for the possibility of bias? Me either. What used to be a magazine chock-full of fascinating scientific research and cutting-edge information has become a repository of political opinions. And I'm not saying they're all wrong- I'm saying that's not the name of the magazine.
I keep renewing my subscription each year because they keep sending out these "please come back for just $5.00 a year" mailings. So I guess the fault is mine.
The issue with horse meat has nothing to do with delicate American sensibilities, but rather what goes into the meat. Regulation on the drugs used on horse has been lax compared to beef and other more popular meats; phenylbutazone is a commonly used horse anti-inflammatory that builds up inside the connective tissue of the horse. Phenylbutazone can cause many issues in humans, most seriously kidney damage, even in small doses.
I watched a television show one time and the patient asked the doctor if his medication was safe to use. The doctor said 'all medicine is bad for you' but in an emergency you should it. All domestic animals are given chemicals (pharmaceutical, if you wish). This isn't any different to what is given to horses. If it's grown by nature and not by mankind then most food is probably OK to consume. More to come soon only this time I will offer some facts to back up my opinion.
I find it strange that local butchers are being put out of business yet large commercial operations are given the okay. The more meat is handled results in more bacteria like hambuger or pizza. Tour a big packing plant and then a small slaughterhouse (local butcher) then make a judgement
Five amazing, clean technologies that will set us free, in this month's energy-focused issue. Also: how to build a better bomb detector, the robotic toys that are raising your children, a human catapult, the world's smallest arcade, and much more.
Online Content Director: Suzanne LaBarre | Email
Senior Editor: Paul Adams | Email
Associate Editor: Dan Nosowitz | Email
Assistant Editor: Colin Lecher | Email
Assistant Editor: Rose Pastore | Email
Rebecca Boyle | Email
Kelsey D. Atherton | Email
Francie Diep | Email
Shaunacy Ferro | Email
Copyright © 2012 Popular Science
A Bonnier Corporation Company. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.