Kristin Shaw is a freelance writer specializing in anything with wheels, and calls on her technology background to explain complex concepts. Currently living in her sixth state (New Jersey, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, Georgia, and now Texas), she does most of her work in coffee shops around Austin.
- Expertise includes tech, investigative, and interview journalism, as well as the car and aviation industries.
- She’s an avid reader and is especially fond of counterterrorism novels by Brad Thor and Vince Flynn, and adventure romps by Clive Cussler.
- Bylines in: Edmunds, U.S. News and World Report, The Drive, Forbes Wheels, TODAY.com, The Washington Post, Cosmopolitan, Glamour, A Girls Guide to Cars, Pickup Truck and SUV Talk, GearJunkie, Motor1, Car and Driver, The Points Guy, The Huffington Post, and more.
ExperienceKristin's career started with marketing and public relations on the telecommunications side, and she progressed to tech and aviation. She traveled to dozens of countries while heading up North American marketing for a Swiss aviation tech firm and developed a fondness for Belgian street waffles and Spanish ham. After her son was born more than a decade ago, she started her dream job: Driving cars and writing about them. As former president of the Texas Auto Writers Association (TAWA), Kristin headed up the Texas Truck Rodeo and built relationships across the industry, and in 2022, her work was chosen for TAWA's top Excellence in Craft award. Also in 2022, she competed in her first motorsports event—the 8-day, 1,500-mile Rebelle Rally—in a Hyundai Santa Cruz.
EducationKristin earned a bachelor's degree with honors in communication arts from the University of Cincinnati.
- This Florida teen is making a business out of rebuilding old-school auto tech Popular Science
- Why solid state batteries are the next frontier for EV makers Popular Science
- Inside the ambitious project to turn a 1961 Volvo into a powerful modern hybrid Popular Science
- Heavy EVs need strong tires—which means reinventing their wheels Popular Science
- Restoration and repairs: My dad taught me how to recover from a crash Today