- ‘Odie’ makes space history with successful moon landing
Odysseus becomes the first privately-built spacecraft to survive a lunar landing.
- The best projectors for daylight viewing in 2024
You don’t always need a dark environment to use a projector. We shine a light on the best choices for brighter environments.
- Delta’s solar eclipse flight sold out, but your best bet to see it is still down here
Don’t worry, there are plenty of places to still catch the April 8 event on the ground.
- Why are there so many snakes?
Thousands of species of snakes slither across the globe. Researchers think this is a product of a mysterious singularity event.
- A new algorithm could help detect landslides in minutes
Landslides can trigger devastating tsunamis. Tracking them in real time is a challenge.
- How to stop your devices from listening to you
Don’t want your phones and speakers listening? Here’s what to do.
- This DVD-sized disk can store a massive 125,000 gigabytes of data
It can hold the same amount of information as 10,000 Blu-rays.
- Apple’s newest 15-inch MacBook Air is $300 off at Best Buy—but not for long
This limited-time deal from Best Buy brings this latest-gen MacBook Air down to $999.
- You might have more in common with the sea lamprey than you realize
The hindbrains of humans and these ‘sea monsters’ share a key genetic function.
- Grab a like-new device with the Microsoft Surface Laptop 3 and pay under $350
Updating your tech doesn’t have to drain the bank.
- Washington puzzles over AI in health care
The hype, the risks, and the ‘daunting problem’ of regulating AI’s impact on your medical treatments.
- ‘Lost Bird’ not seen in 20 years photographed for the first time
The yellow-crested helmetshrike has noisy calls that match its bright feathers.
- The best portable printers for 2024
Open up the world of printing anywhere in the world with these portable printers from Canon, HP, and Kodak.
- ChatGPT has been generating bizarre nonsense (more than usual)
‘Would it glad your clickies to grasp-turn-tooth over a mind-ocean jello type? … 🌊 💼 🐠’
- Save 25% or more on Logitech keyboards, mice, and webcams at Amazon
Your keyboard is due for an upgrade. Thankfully, Logitech’s computer peripherals are on sale at Amazon.
- Neanderthals likely used glue to make tools
Stone Age tools show evidence of a cognitive process that is present in humans today.
- Score a Sam’s Club membership for only $20 with this deal
Save on a subscription, then save a lot more on everyday goods.
- The mystery of cats and their love of imaginary boxes
You can’t get inside your cat’s brain, but you can try.
- We finally know how baleen whales make noise
Earth’s largest creatures evolved special parts in their larynx to vocalize their signature songs.
- Get this 14-inch HP Chromebook for just $159 (regularly $299) during this limited Best Buy deal
It comes with 4GB RAM, 64GB SSD storage, and a 14-hour battery. Plus, it even has a webcam built-in.
- Range Rover Sport SV first drive: A rugged off-roader that feels like a race car
High-tech suspension and a ‘tactile audio system’ in the seats make this a truly unique ride.
- How to turn your voice memos into text
Voice notes can be more useful when they’re transcribed.
- These Sony wireless headphones boast a 50-hour battery life and are now $39.99
Style meets functionality with these innovative headphones.
- How ski resorts are adapting to climate change
As a warming world creates an existential threat for the ski industry, resorts are reducing how much energy they need to make it snow.
- The best earplugs for work in 2024
Whether you’re operating a jackhammer, slinging sandwiches, or just want to tune out cubicle chatter, we’ve got hearing protection for you.
- ‘Odie’ snaps its first images of Earth on its way to the moon
The privately-built lander took some selfies during its 230,000 mile journey to the lunar surface.
- Do not put your wet iPhone in rice, warns Apple
The company has finally acknowledged the longstanding ‘hack’ could do more damage.
- Presidents Day may be over, but these mattress deals are still on at Amazon
Keep the presidential birthday celebrations going with these mattress deals from Casper, Serta, and Zinus at Amazon.
- Giant Antarctic sea spiders’ reproductive mystery solved after 140 years of confusion
These large invertebrates are fairly devoted dads.
- This refurbished MacBook Pro 15.4″ combines power and value for only $373.99
Classic design meets enduring performance with this 2015 model.
- Dead satellite hurtles towards Earth in new grainy images
After 29 years in orbit, ERS-2 is en route for a fiery demise tomorrow.
- Fastest-growing black hole eats the equivalent of one sun a day
It powers a quasar as bright as 500 trillion suns.
- Why scientists are worried about Neuralink
Several companies are testing brain implants–why is there so much attention swirling around Neuralink?
- 5 stretches for relieving ‘tech neck,’ according to physical therapists
Each stretch can be done right in your seat.
- The best photo blankets to show off your memories in 2024
Because taping together a bunch of 4×6 prints doesn’t make a very good blanket.
- Bug-munching plant turns insect nurseries into death traps
The relationship between Arisaema and its prey may be more nuanced than biologists once thought.
- 24 hours only—take on a new language with Babbel and pay $149.97 this Presidents Day
Save extra on this highly rated app through Feb. 19.
- How to discover weird and cool places near you
Secret castles, weird museums, and more could be hiding in your town.
- The uncharted world of emerging pathogens
In their quest to detect early outbreaks, virus hunters are sampling environmental DNA in water, dirt, and air.
- Fire is driving animals’ evolution
Can species evolve fast enough to keep up with changing wildfire conditions?
- This premium AI flight deal service is $49.99 for Presidents Day
Secure the best deals from a unique service with AI-powered alerts, its own mobile app, and personalized alerts.
- 13 award-winning photographs that showcase Earth’s wonders
The National & Regional winners from the 2024 Sony World Photography Awards take us from space to hot springs.
- This Presidents Day, enjoy additional savings on these highly-rated Microsoft Office bundles and pay $29.97
Maximize productivity on Windows or Mac and save through Feb. 19.
- On this social network, sea ice, traditional foods, and wildlife are always trending
Using an app developed by Inuit in Nunavut, Indigenous communities from Alaska to Greenland are harnessing data to make their own decisions.
- Upgrade your operating system with Microsoft Windows 11 Pro and pay only $29.97 for a limited time
Save extra this Presidents Day through Feb. 19.
- Capture unique perspectives with this 2-for-1 dual-camera drone bundle, now $144.99
One for you, one for a friend.
- How to apply for NASA’s next Mars habitat simulation
See if you qualify to be a volunteer for a yearlong stint.
- A ridiculous AI-generated rat penis made it into a peer-reviewed journal
Researchers used Midjourney’s AI image generators to illustrate the fantastical rodent beside incoherent strings of text.
- The best photo printers for 2024, tested and reviewed
Get your most important photos off your phone and into the real world with the aim of a dedicated photo printer.
- OpenAI’s Sora pushes us one mammoth step closer towards the AI abyss
Generative AI videos advanced from comical to photorealistic within a single year. This is uncharted, dangerous territory.
- Water molecules detected on the surface of an asteroid in space for the first time
The data came from a now-defunct NASA mission and was collected by the Faint Object InfraRed Camera.