- Up your summer fitness with $200 off select Garmin smartwatches
You can update or upgrade with new software and savings on the Garmin Forerunner, epix, Instinct, Approach, and more.
- Octopuses rewrite their own genes to survive freezing temperatures
A new study dives deeper into the amazing adaptations of the cephalopod brain.
- Get sweet sounds and savings with dads & grads audio deals
Save money on audio gifts for the big guy or the new grad.
- Hawaii’s Mount Kīlauea volcano erupts again—and you can watch it live
Kīlauea is one of the world’s most active volcanoes and the second largest in Hawaii.
- Inside Blue Abyss’s plan to build super-deep pools for astronauts and military bots
The proposed 160-foot-deep pools would be training grounds for astronauts, or provide a watery place for those in the defense sector to test their equipment.
- Save over $200 on this refurbished Dell Optiplex desktop computer with Windows 11 Pro
Built for professionals and power users, this refurbished Dell Optiplex 5060 desktop computer allows for professional-grade multitasking.
- Radio host sues ChatGPT developer over allegedly libelous claims
Lawsuit claims OpenAI is responsible for the chatbot’s ‘false and malicious’ answers.
- Citizen scientists have taken photos of this boulder every year for three decades
In 1990, a scientist began visually documenting Prince William Sound’s recovery from the Exxon Valdez oil spill. When funding ran out, volunteers took over.
- What to know about the anti-air missiles the US is sending to Ukraine
The weapons include the AIM-7 Sparrow, a guided missile with a long history. It can be carried by an F-16.
- Look inside London’s new Super Sewer, an engineering marvel for rubbish and poo
The main component of the enormous infrastructure project is a 15-mile tunnel. Once it’s operational, the River Thames should be much cleaner.
- Prototype airline seat would make the skies friendlier to passengers in wheelchairs
A convertible seat that allows for passengers’ own wheelchairs could soon come to Delta flights.
- This concept cruise ship will have solar-paneled sails, an AI copilot, and zero emissions
Hurtigruten Norway hopes to have their sustainable liner hit the high seas by 2030.
- Get cool savings on hot TVs with up to 30% off select Amazon Fire models
If you’re not a fan of being sweaty, upgrade to an Amazon Fire TV for a cool, air-conditioned hermit creature summer.
- A new shot can be a safe and effective alternative to surgical spaying
Keeping feral-cat populations under control is important for protecting animals and the planet.
- These air purifiers are actually on sale right now at Amazon and Best Buy
Avoid the fake discounts that pop up when demand for air purifiers increases.
- This ancient civilization literally used their heads to move massive logs for miles
Plus other fun facts from The Weirdest Thing I Learned This Week.
- A popular ‘compostable’ bioplastic isn’t as biodegradable as it seems
Marketing PLA as an ‘ecological solution’ is misleading, according to experts.
- Wildfire smoke is choking the eastern United States
Nearly 100 million people across numerous states are affected by the dangerous conditions.
- Elevate your gameplay and pay only $49.99 for this wireless ergonomic gaming mouse
The MOJO M2 provides high performance, comfort, and customization.
- How to make sure you never miss someone’s birthday
Use these apps and features to help you remember all those special occasions.
- A spacecraft engineer’s wisdom from Mars 2020 and a disaster-stricken island
‘The Space Mechanic’ illustrates the importance of taking risks, close to home and millions of miles away.
- Why scientists have a hard time getting money to study the root causes of outbreaks
Government and groups that award grants to scientists favor research that’s high tech and treatment oriented rather than studies that seek to understand why contagions leap from animals to people.
- Super semen could be one reason why primates evolved to masturbate
Self-pleasure occurs all across the animal kingdom, but it’s still unclear why primates in particular evolved autosexual behavior.
- Duck yeah, Apple’s next autocorrect update makes it easier to swear
Unfiltered expletives are coming to iOS 17 this fall.
- 675 million people still didn’t have access to electricity in 2021
A new report from the UN on Sustainable Development Goals progress shows the world is ‘off track.’
- NASA’s journey to a strange metal asteroid should finally begin in October
The Psyche mission has a launch date again, after software problems and COVID-era delays.
- Apple released a ‘spatial computer.’ Here’s what that means.
It looks like something out of “Minority Report.”
- Extinct human cousins may have beat us to inventing burial rituals
New preprint studies continue to spark the debate surrounding which species was the first to practice purposeful burial.
- The ISS’s latest delivery includes space plants and atmospheric lightning monitors
SpaceX’s Dragon craft autonomously docked with the ISS early Tuesday morning.
- A daily pill could cut lung cancer deaths in half, new study shows
The results of a new clinical trial are a ‘momentous achievement’ in the fight against the world’s leading cause of cancer death.
- Just about every type of Citizen watch is on-sale at Amazon right now
Just about every style of Citizen watch has a real discount right now.
- Air quality monitoring stations could help track and preserve threatened species
The air can have traces of the plants, fungi, and animals that live nearby.
- What science says about popular pre-workout ingredients
The good, the meh, and the uh-oh in common fitness supplements.
- Secure your data with a lifetime subscription to this 1TB cloud storage service for $119.97
The only cloud storage software that refrains from tracking its users is on sale.
- Lionfish are now threatening ecosystems and livelihoods in Brazil
An uninvited guest has arrived south of the Caribbean.
- This STEM club for girls turned a real BMW into a sweet racing simulator
The 1997 BMW 318i convertible is now a life-sized video game.
- Here’s a look at Apple’s first augmented reality headset
A round-up of the news from Apple’s WWDC.
- The role of people in preserving nature, according to America’s National Parks docuseries
Carnivorous plants, turquoise-waters, spawning coral reefs, and more need our help.
- The Roman Britons cared a lot about hair removal, and it shows in artifacts
‘The advantage of the tweezer was that it was safe, simple and cheap, but unfortunately not pain free.’
- This robot ‘chef’ can follow video instructions to make a very simple salad
It may not make it on ‘Top Chef,’ but the robot’s learning abilities are still impressive.
- From gaming to coding, Nibble takes kids on an exciting learning adventure for only $79.99
This programming bundle enables young minds to have fun while creating their own games.
- This massively underrated pollinator needs your help
Moths likely pollinate and visit just as many plants as bees, but might be less resilient.
- Yale’s new research tool will lead you down a rabbit hole of knowledge
LUX is a digital platform that draws information from the university’s museums, libraries, and archives.
- Feeling sad when your favorite show ends? It might be post-series depression.
If you’re in a low mood when the credits roll, you’re not alone.
- These species were discovered in museum collections. They might already be extinct.
Scientists are increasingly seeing evidence of ‘dark extinction’ in museum and botanical garden collections.
- Save Dad money while shopping at Costco with a Gold Star Membership priced at only $60
This Father’s Day, also get a $30 Digital Costco Shop Card with your year-long membership.
- How to stay dry and safe while hiking in the rain
Don’t let some scattered drops ruin your hiking plans.
- It will cost up to $21.5 billion to clean up California’s oil sites. The industry won’t make enough money to pay for it.
A recent study found that the cost of cleaning up California’s onshore oil and gas industry will be triple the industry’s projected profits.
- 4 Discord alternatives for work and play
The purple app is not the only platform where you can stay in touch with your friends.
- The best last-minute Memorial Day mattress deals you can still get
Been sleeping on whether or not to buy a new mattress? There are still top-quality, deeply discounted options available … if you act fast.
- This 2023 Travel Hacker bundle featuring Rosetta Stone is the perfect gift for the jet-setting dad
The 2023 Travel Hacker Bundle featuring Rosetta Stone brings four services that will simplify traveling and help Dad plan the trip of his dreams.