- Why some tiny frogs have tarantulas as bodyguards
Plus other fun facts from The Weirdest Thing I Learned This Week.
- Your social media ‘fitspo’ is not a good influence
It only takes a few minutes for Instagram to mess with your head.
- What the Supreme Court’s decision on vaccine mandates means for Americans
Most local mandates will still stand.
- Researchers used AI to explain complex science. Results were mixed.
This tool summarizes the abstracts of scientific studies in a way that second graders can understand.
- The best percussion massagers to soothe aching muscles
Spend time with these therapeutic devices after a hard workout or long day at work.
- Some people still can’t smell or taste a year after COVID
While most infected individuals do recover, some are experiencing long-term changes with their senses.
- Do look up at this asteroid as it whizzes safely past Earth tonight
Don’t worry, it’s not going to be like the recent movie.
- Check out the helicopter vying to be the next Black Hawk
The Defiant, showcased in a new video from Sikorsky, is pitted against one from Bell in the Army’s Future Long-Range Assault Aircraft competition.
- Tweak your message app settings to share photos at their best quality
Push out as many pixels as possible.
- The best snow blowers to bring out when you need to get out
Snowed in? Dig in here to find the best snow blower to clear your driveway in no time.
- Tonga is fighting multiple disasters after a historic volcanic explosion
Tonga faces possible new COVID risks as it assesses damage from an eruption and tsunami waves.
- Texas’s grid may still be unprepared for the next big winter storm
Some experts worry that not enough has been done since last February’s disaster.
- Save $19 on this desk pad during our January Sale
Optimize your workstation in a snap.
- Horned helmets came from Bronze Age artists, not Vikings
Horny Vikings are revisionist history.
- Can texture change the way food tastes?
What you feel matters.
- The best cheap gaming PCs give you more machine for your money
Full-size gaming, pint-sized price. Find the best cheap gaming PCs today.
- 5 cheap and easy ways to upgrade your old tech
Breathe new life into those dusty old machines.
- Don’t get scammed by fake QR codes
Criminals can use the codes to try to steal money and personal information. Here’s how to stay safe.
- Save on this cat-friendly water fountain for our January Sale
Keep your cat hydrated and healthy.
- How the world’s first ‘quantum tornadoes’ came to be
The atom-sized version of extreme weather.
- The secret to healthy honey bees is hiding in Slovenia
The unparalleled taste of this country’s honey is no accident.
- Transform the face of the internet with these 5 Firefox extensions
It just needs a little shaping… to the salon!
- Score 3-month access to the #1 coding app for kids for only $9.99
Teach kids to love STEM.
- Scientists discover how a cell may cheat its own death
Cells may back out of self-destruction, posing one way they can manage their own functions.
- Take a peek at the Chrysler Airflow, a sleek new EV concept
Major automakers already have electric vehicles on the market. So what does Chrysler have in store?
- The West Coast is under a tsunami advisory. Here’s what that means.
Catastrophic waves are unlikely, but residents should be cautious.
- The truth about hydration hacks like IV therapies, alkaline water, and more
Plain old water doesn’t get enough credit.
- The Swiss Army knife of charging cables is on sale for $7 off for a limited time
It offers 6 different charging solutions.
- Here’s what the CDC is now saying about masks and respirators
The agency doesn’t tell people to stop using cloth coverings, but its updated guidelines do put more oomph behind well-fitted N95 and KN95 masks.
- The best video editing software for YouTube production is a cut above
Turn your raw footage into compelling content that keeps viewers glued to your channel.
- Clean up your messy entryway with a DIY shoe rack
We won’t wade into debate over whether or not it’s OK to wear shoes in the house.
- How the Earth’s 23.5-degree tilt gives us seasons
When it’s winter in Idaho, it’s summer in Curaçao. Why?
- The FCC might force cellphone providers to report data breaches differently
Here’s how the federal agency is responding to an “increasing frequency” of breaches.
- Delete your search history and become a digital ghost
Asking for a friend…
- 2021 was the sixth hottest year on record
The past decade is also the hottest the modern world has ever seen.
- Grab the new Apple AirPods (3rd Generation) for 22-percent off
Save on the full range of quality earbuds from Apple, but act fast as deals this good can sell out quickly.
- The Navy’s next-gen destroyer concept involves powerful lasers
It’s called the DDG(X), and it could be a successor to the Arleigh Burke-class destroyers of today.
- Score two drones for the price of one with this limited-time deal
Conquer the skies with two drones.
- Wind chill isn’t what you think it is
The math may be unreliable, but the frostbite is real.
- Feast your eyes on exquisite fossils from an ancient rainforest (and more)
Found in Australia, the bonanza of soft-bodied relics in rock dates back to the Miocene epoch.
- What does it mean for Omicron to peak?
Cases could be leveling off in early Omicron hotspots, but a surge’s peak is only known in retrospect.
- Nuro’s little grocery-toting robot just got a big upgrade
The third-gen autonomous vehicle now has an airbag. On the outside.
- Beat Wordle with these 5 expert tips
Just do it.
- The best smart doorbells to protect your person, property, and packages
Thwart porch pirates and see visitors in advance with the best smart doorbells.
- Scientists wielded giant lasers to simulate an exoplanet’s super-hot core
A molten core creates Earth’s magnetic field, which protects life as we know it.
- Does reading an e-book make us happier than playing a video game? The answer is complicated.
On average, music, TV, films, video games, e-books, digital magazines, and audiobooks had similar impacts on people’s perceived life satisfaction.
- 7 smart Google Keep features you’re missing out on
More than just sticky notes.
- No, smoking weed will not protect you against COVID-19
Let’s be blunt: Don’t consume cannabis to prevent COVID.
- The ultimate guide to reusing and buying N95 masks
Everything you need to know—well, at least until the next game-changing variant.
- Yes, Cincinnati has a subway system. No, you can’t use it.
Even 100 years after its construction, ideas for putting it to use keep popping up.
- How to enjoy a more sustainable cup of coffee
Bid single-use Keurig cups adieu.