The Future of Shipping: The System of the World
What’s next for the system that moves most of the stuff on Earth?
The basic unit of the global economy is the humble container. Every year, a vast fleet of freighters hauls more than 17 million of them to destinations around the world. Now the ships are getting bigger, the routes are getting better, and the ports are getting smarter than ever before. Oh, and for a longer-term look at the future of shipping, check out Cargotec’s plan for Port 2060.
Click the links below to explore how our shipping system is moving into the future.
- A Sensor-Packed Shipping Container That Folds Flat in 30 Seconds
- Global Warming Opens a Long-Sought Shipping Route Through the Arctic
- Imagining (and Building) Bigger and More Efficient Carriers
- Piloting a Massive Container Ship Takes More Than Just a Few Charts
- The Panama Canal Gets an Update
- How to Reverse the Increasing Number of Pirate Attacks Near the Suez Canal