Carbon monoxide alarms to give you peace of mind at home
Protect yourself from this odourless, colourless danger.
Incorrectly installed, poorly maintained, or poorly ventilated boilers, stoves, and water heaters can result in gas not burning properly, generating carbon monoxide, a gas that has no smell or taste and can cause illness and even be fatal. Every year there are around 60 deaths from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning in England and Wales, which is why an alarm is so important. Here’s what you need to know.
With Indicator Lights
Two LEDs show power supply and status, and an end-of-life warning after seven years use. This battery-powered detector can be wall-mounted or left freestanding, making it great for trips or home use. Kidde
Where you place your carbon monoxide detector is crucial, as the sooner you know that there’s a fault with a gas appliance, the better. If the boiler is at one end of the house and your bedroom is at the other, don’t have a detector in your bedroom so you have to wait until your entire home is full of carbon monoxide before you find out. Instead, make sure you have detectors close to boilers, kitchen hobs, open fires, and portable heaters.
A high-decibel acoustic warning sounds in the presence of poisonous gas and the device has a long period of functionality. Three AA batteries are supplied for power, along with mounting hardware. Kidde
Most carbon monoxide alarms come with a test function that allows you to check that they’re working properly. You should schedule regular checks of your alarm, check the batteries, and make sure you don’t continue to use it for longer than the manufacturer’s stated period of time. An alarm with dead batteries or an expired mechanism is worse than no alarm at all as it lulls you into a false sense of security.
With Multi-Functional Display
Powered by a built-in lithium cell that lasts for seven years, this model has a small screen that shows temperature and gas levels down to 10ppm, as well as peak readings over the last four weeks. FireAngel