- Scientists have found that newborns can detect when a drum sequence is missing its downbeat -- and that scalp electrodes show they have a response that in adults is linked to "a violation of one's expectations."
- If you've ever read The Omnivore's Dilemma, you're probably already well aware and terrified of high-fructose corn syrup. Here's more bad news for soda fiends: some foods containing the sweetener may contain trace amounts of mercury.
- In an interesting look at how the Interior Department functions, documents show that officials ignored scientific findings on the impact of regulating water flow through the Grand Canyon as part of a plan to deliver energy more efficiently to the region.
- Scientists are predicting another wrinkle to the problems caused by global warming. A study suggests that drier weather will cause people to store water, which would be ideal habitat for mosquitoes that spread dengue fever and other diseases.
- Remember the cloned dogs? Here's the puppy a couple got for $155,000. Yes, it's a really, really cute little Lab, and I like that the owner clarified that he's donated more to the SPCA than they spent on the pup, but still ...