January 2011: Robots Bite Back
What happens when machines start making their own decisions?
The Terminator Scenario
Are we giving our military machines too much power? By Ben Austen
Mining for Dark Matter
The race to solve one of the biggest mysteries of physics could end with what scientists find 4,850 feet below the Black Hills of South Dakota By Brooke Borel
Twice as Fast
Sikorsky and Eurocopter race to build the speediest helicopter By Joseph A. Bernstein
- Frogs in Peril: A Race to Save a Threatened Frog With Risky Experimental Techniques
- An Escalator-Like Ladder for Faster Fire Rescues
- Addiction Therapists Turn to Second Life for Help Reaching Patients
- How NASA Repaired the Seven-Million-Pound Antenna It Sses to Track Deep-Space Probes
- A Giant Radio Flyer: The Classic Children’s Wagon, Now Truck-Sized and Street-Legal
- Repurposed Tech: Ways to Use Your Old iPhone Around the House
- Gray Matter: The Line of Fire
- Ask A Geek: Do All Blu-ray Players Produce the Same Picture Quality?
- FYI: Is It Safe to Walk Barefoot in New York City?
- FYI: How Many Different Ways Can a Chess Game Unfold?
- FYI: What Is the Evolutionary Purpose of Tickling?