- Discarded electronics contain toxic substances such as lead, mercury and cadmium, as well as carcinogenic PCBs, all of which can leach into groundwater.
- The US generates about 2.9 million tons of electronic waste per year, of which only 330,000 tons (11.4 percent) is recycled. ([PDF)
- More than 200 million unused cell phones go out of service each year in the US. Fewer than 8 percent of those are recycled or refurbished.
- One cell phone can pollute up to 132,000 liters of water.
- Most printer cartridges can be recycled up to six times and are guaranteed by most manufacturers to work as well as brand-new ones.