- Download the installer for your computer´s platform (Windows, Linux or Mac) and your iPod model from ipodlinux.org.
- Connect your iPod in disk mode, and run the installer. Choose which OS you want your iPod to load
- Reset your iPod (on most models, hold down menu and select). Press the << key during reboot to launch the non-default system.
- Encyclopodia (encyclopodia.sourceforge.net) Load all of Wikipedia- searchable and with working links between articles -into less than a gigabyte of space. Note: If you have Encyclopodia, it´s the only Linux app you can run.
- iDoom (idoom.hyarion.com) Play the popular first- person shooter Doom with crisp graphics (especially on color screens) and an easy-to-use interface. Just download and copy the iDoom folder to your iPod.
- iBoy (sourceforge.net/projects/iboy) Play nearly all the original Nintendo Game Boy´s classics on your iPod-just search for the ROM files online. The controls can be awkward, but having Zelda on your iPod is worth it. For more iPodLinux games and tricks, including how to run Encyclopodia with other applications, click on to the next page.
- iPodLinux.org: The project´s main site is a searchable wiki, full of user-submitted how-tos and links to other downloads.
- iPodLinux.org forums: If you can´t find what you´re looking for on the wiki, there´s a good chance someone has been in a similar situation and has written about it on the searchable forums. And if it´s not already on there, ask away. Often you´ll get an answer back in a matter of minutes, and it just might be some of the project´s main programmers helping you out.
- If you´re feeling extra bold, you can dust off the old IRC (Internet relay chat) application (or download one free for Mac or Windows), connect to the iPodLinux IRC channel (#ipodlinux on irc.freenode.net), and ask any questions there.