- Detection: This is when the brain is first aware that there is something of significance up ahead. Perhaps a form of lighting of some type.
- Recognition: This is the critical stage where the brain determines what it is actually seeing. Out of all of the thousands of possibilities, is this in fact a person on or approaching the roadway?
- Evaluation: The brain now assesses the situation taking into account all of the different factors that prevail at that moment.
- Decision: The brain decides upon a course of action.
- Reaction: The body reacts to the commands of the brain.
- Response: The vehicle responds to the actions of the driver in the vehicle.