Which Furloughed Government Employee Has The Best Auto-Reply?

In the event of an earthquake, contact... someone else.

The government shutdown marches on. Curious about who's furloughed and how they're broadcasting it, we emailed some employees of the government agencies we cover regularly, from NASA to the U.S. Geological Survey to the Environmental Protection Agency. Here are all the auto-replies we got back (plus one awesome human reply):

From: Cowley, Jane <jane_cowley@nps.gov>
Date: Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 4:05 PM
Subject: Out of Office Re: Popular Science -- press inquiry
To: suzanne.labarre@bonniercorp.com

Because of the federal government shutdown, I have been furloughed. I cannot check email messages until the government re-opens.

From: Dennis Feltgen - NOAA Federal <dennis.feltgen@noaa.gov>
Date: Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 1:40 PM
Subject: Out of office due to furlough Re: media request: Popular Science article about hurricane prediction
To: shaunacyferro@gmail.com

I am currently out of the office and furloughed due to the shutdown of U.S. government operations. I will be unable to respond to e-mails and phone calls until funding has been appropriated and the shutdown ends. Please be assured that the National Hurricane Center will continue operating with no interruption in providing its mission.

From: Robertson, Jessica <jrobertson@usgs.gov>
Date: Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 1:37 PM
Subject: Out of the Office - Automatic Reply Re: Popular Science
To: colin.lecher@bonniercorp.com

Due to the lapse in appropriations, I am prohibited from conducting work as a Federal employee, including returning phone calls and emails, until further notice. If you urgently need to speak with someone at the USGS regarding emergencies or matters of protecting life and property, call (703) 648-7411 or (703) 648-7412. For more information on the shutdown, please visit the Department of the Interior website at www.doi.gov. In the event of an earthquake, contact the National Earthquake Information Center at 303-273-8500.

From: McMakin, Barbara (NIH/NINDS) [E] <barbara.mcmakin@nih.gov>
Date: Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 1:43 PM
Subject: Automatic reply: media request: Popular Science story on CTE study
To: Shaunacy Ferro <shaunacyferro@gmail.com>

Due to the absence of either an FY 2014 appropriation or Continuing Resolution for the Department of Health and Human Services, I am out of the office on furlough and I am not able to read or respond to your message. You are welcome to send messages, but I cannot predict when I will be able to check them. Thank you.

From: Williams, Leslie A. (DFRC-T) <leslie.a.williams@nasa.gov>
Date: Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 1:38 PM
Subject: Automatic reply: Popular Science Shutdown Inquiry
To: Kelsey Atherton <kelsey.d.atherton@gmail.com>

NASA is currently closed due to a lapse in government funding. I am in furlough status; therefore, I am unable to respond to your message at this time.

From: Feinstein, Ross <Ross.Feinstein@tsa.dhs.gov>
Date: Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 6:05 PM
Subject: RE: Popular Science -- press inquiry
To: Suzanne LaBarre <suzanne.labarre@popsci.com>

I will be out of the office starting October 1, 2013. Due to the current federal funding hiatus, I will not be able to return emails or telephone calls until I return to duty upon conclusion of the funding hiatus. If this is an emergency or you require immediate assistance please contact TSA Public Affairs at 571-227-2829 or tsamedia@tsa.dhs.gov.

From: Huergo, Jennifer <jennifer.huergo@nist.gov>
Date: Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 5:41 PM
Subject: Automatic reply: Popular Science -- press inquiry
To: Suzanne LaBarre <suzanne.labarre@popsci.com>

Due to a lapse in appropriated funds, the federal government is shut down until further notice. I will not be able to check email or voicemail during the shutdown. For Dept. of Commerce media queries, please contact DOC Director of Public Affairs Jim Hock at (202) 482-3007 or jhock@doc.gov.

From: Saghafi, Michelle <Michelle.Saghafi@oc.usda.gov>
Date: Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 5:26 PM
Subject: Automatic reply: Popular Science -- press inquiry
To: Suzanne LaBarre <suzanne.labarre@popsci.com>

Thank you for your message. I am not in the office at this time. I am on furlough without access to email, due to the lapse in federal government funding. I will return your message as soon as possible once funding has been restored. For information about available government services, visit USA.gov.

From: <public.affairs@dot.gov>
Date: Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 4:51 PM
Subject: Automatic reply: Popular Science -- press inquiry
To: suzanne.labarre@popsci.com

Due to the shortage of support staff due to the lapse in funding, there will be a delay in processing your request. For press inquiries regarding NHTSA projects funded by the Highway Trust Fund please call (202) 366-9550.

From: Steinberg, Gary E - BLS <Steinberg.Gary@bls.gov>
Date: Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 4:47 PM
Subject: Out of Office: Popular Science -- press inquiry
To: Suzanne LaBarre <suzanne.labarre@popsci.com>

Hello, This Bureau of Labor Statistics information e-mail address is temporarily unavailable due to suspension of federal government services. Please be aware that your e-mail will not be responded to and you may need to resend your e-mail once services have been restored. Please go to www.opm.gov for the most recent information on federal government suspenions, shutdown, and closings.

From: Bock, Robert (NIH/NICHD) [E] <bockr@exchange.nih.gov>
Date: Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 3:41 PM
Subject: Automatic reply: Popular Science-- press inquiry
To: Suzanne LaBarre <suzanne.labarre@popsci.com>

Due to the absence of either an FY 2014 appropriation or Continuing Resolution for the Department of Health and Human Services, I am out of the office on furlough and I am not able to read or respond to your message. If you require immediate attention, plese contact John Jarman (301) 496-0648 or Kathleen Stephan (301) 496-5826

From: CEQ-Press <Press@ceq.eop.gov>
Date: Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 3:39 PM
Subject: Automatic reply: Popular Science -- press inquiry
To: Suzanne LaBarre <suzanne.labarre@popsci.com>

Due to the lapse in appropriations, we are not able to read or respond to this email.

From: Urschel, Donna <durschel@loc.gov>
Date: Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 3:20 PM
Subject: Out of Office: Popular Science -- press inquiry
To: Suzanne LaBarre <suzanne.labarre@popsci.com>

The Library will be closed until appropriations for fiscal year 2014 are enacted. Until the Library reopens, I will not have access to phone or e-mail. For updates, please monitor the news or call the Library of Congress information line at 202-707-5000.

From: BURKE, JENNY L <JENNY.LYNN.BURKE@cbp.dhs.gov>
Date: Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 1:38 PM
Subject: Automatic reply: Popular Science Shutdown Inquiry
To: Kelsey Atherton <kelsey.d.atherton@gmail.com>

Due to the lapse of appropriations and the emergency furlough, I am currently out of the office. I will address your concern upon my return to the office.

From: Rodriguez, Elias <Rodriguez.Elias@epa.gov>
Date: Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 1:37 PM
Subject: Automatic reply: EPA Finalizes Cleanup Plan for Gowanus Canal Superfund Site in Brooklyn, New York
To: Dan Nosowitz <daniel.nosowitz@bonniercorp.com>

ATTENTION: I am unable to work for the duration of the GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN. I cannot check my messages. If you are a reporter, please send your inquries to press@epa.gov

_ _

And in response to our email soliciting "auto-replies from the government agencies that are shut down right now," we got this from the U.S. Agency for International Development:

From: Sam Ostrander <sostrander@usaid.gov>
Date: Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 5:00 PM
Subject: Re: Popular Science -- press inquiry
To: Suzanne LaBarre <suzanne.labarre@popsci.com>

Dear Suzanne, We are currently in the office and responding to media inquiries. We are unable to provide an auto-reply at this time. Best Regards, USAID Press Office