This Week in the Future, August 20-24, 2012
The gibbon is clearly in trouble. Will he succumb to the lure of the bananas, or will he be saved...
The gibbon is clearly in trouble. Will he succumb to the lure of the bananas, or will he be saved by the distraction of the helium? That is the conundrum of this week in the future.
Want to win this irresistible Baarbarian illustration on a T-shirt? It’s easy! The rules: Follow us on Twitter (we’re @PopSci) and retweet our This Week in the Future tweet. One of those lucky retweeters will be chosen to receive a custom T-shirt with this week’s Baarbarian illustration on it, thus making the winner the envy of their friends, coworkers and everyone else with eyes. (Those who would rather not leave things to chance and just pony up some cash for the t-shirt can do that here.) The stories pictured herein:
- Audio: Gibbons On Helium Sing Soprano
- Keep Your Bananas Ripe by Spraying Them With Recycled Shrimp Shells
- Giant Cave Spider Discovered in Oregon
- In Hong Kong, Starbucks Biorefinery Turns Stale Pastry and Coffee Grounds Into Plastic
And don’t forget to check out our other favorite stories of the week:
- The Goods: August 2012’s Hottest Gadgets
- Pop Review: The Nintendo 3DS XL Proves Bigger Is Sometimes Better
- A Blueprint to Let Anyone 3-D Print an Open-Source Gun At Home
- Video: Inside NASA’s Spectacular Undersea Mission to Save Earth from a Deadly Collision
- FYI: Is There Any Way to Prevent Toe Cramps?
- Video: New Dad Builds a Baby Monitor Out of Lasers and a Wiimote
- The Army’s Quick Fix for Soldier Suicides: Anti-Depressive Nasal Spray
- Distant Red Giant Caught Devouring One of Its Planets
- Rape Results In More Pregnancies Than Consensual Sex, Not Fewer
- Change of Venue
- SWITCH60 Review: The First Liquid-Cooled LED Bulb Will Light Up Your House Like Edison
- The Most Amazing Images Of The Week, August 20-24, 2012