August 2012: The Future of Sports
Features I Am Warplane How the first autonomous strike plane will land on aircraft carriers, navigate hostile airspace and change...
How the first autonomous strike plane will land on aircraft carriers, navigate hostile airspace and change the future of flight By Clay Dillow
How science is transforming the sport of MMA fighting By Matthew Shaer
Scientists are trying to get the first direct look at the black hole at the center of our galaxy. How close will they come to seeing the unseeable? By Seth Fletcher
Drones are learning the difference between a car and a tree–and how to make their next moves By Andrew Rosenblum
Shape-shifting stadiums could transform the way we watch sports By Bjorn Carey
Ideas for safer, better ways to play classic sports By John Brenkus
- The Goods: August 2012’s Hottest Gadgets
- The First Phone That’s Audible Anywhere
- Can Bridgestone’s Airless Tire End the Inner Tube Era?
- A Gaming System That Helps Players Outlast the Competition
- The First Shirt to Actually Lower Body Temperature
- How NFC Radios Will Help the Visually Impaired
- Why Next-Gen Rovers Could Be Smaller Than a Grain of Sand
- Scientists Engineer “Chimera” Primates to Combat Human Ailments
- Rough Sketch: “This Squishy Arm is Cheap–Good For Search and Rescue”
- Seeing Through Walls With a Wireless Router
- Building Artificial Islands That Rise With the Sea
- A New Blood Test Could Spot Concussions Within Hours
- Researchers Trying to Give First Supersonic Biplane Some Lift
- Prosperity Isn’t How Much You Move–It’s How You Move It
- You Built What?!: A Fire-Breathing, Jet-Powered Dragon
- Jailbreak Your iPhone For New Functions in the Notification Center
- Gray Matter: Extracting Bismuth From Pepto-Bismol Tablets
- A Brainwave-Controlled Version of “Pong”
- Website of the Month: CollabFinder
- The Most Useful Testing Equipment For DIY Projects
- FYI: Did Prehistoric Birds Evolve Flight By Falling Out of Trees?
- FYI: Will Athletes Ever Stop Breaking Records?