The littlest gold miners, the tidiest bees, and the least fun Wii game ever. Welcome to this week’s Future.
Some of our favorite stories this week:
- The Chandra telescope caught a juicy paparazzi shot of two black holes smooching.
- At Tokyo’s annual geek-tech conference, a robot croons.
- Scientists figure out how to genetically engineer bees that are especially keen on doing housework — hivework? — to fight off the mites that cause Colony Collapse Disorder.
- Scientists figure out how to genetically engineer bacteria to mine for gold. Scientists then retire to a private island.
- A new $20 million effort to enhance airport security entails passengers standing on a Wii Balance board while they wait to get on their planes.
Illustration by the great Baarbarian