Posted 01.09.2009 at 12:20 pm
Also in today's links: more strange noise in the universe, other creatures with painful bites, and more.
- Mosquitoes in love really do make beautiful music together. It's a sound that actually is slightly less annoying to humans than the usual buzz of a swarm of the blood-suckers, perhaps because it makes use of what musicians consider the most euphonious combination of notes in music.
- Scientists are puzzling over a new mystery -- what could be the significance of background radio noise coming from beyond the Milky Way?
- Here's news that'll make you stick to soda, even if it will rot your teeth and make you fat. The EPA is reconsidering limiting the amount of a toxic rocket fuel allowed in drinking water, one that has been found at some sites at high enough levels to interfere with thyroid function and possibly cause developmental problems. That's great and all, but what about what we're drinking now?
- Japanese researchers have designed a robot suit that would allow elderly farmers to better bear the stress and do the work of farming. I'm guessing the elderly farmers are not necessarily too happy to have a reason to go on working. Or if they are, they might be in such dire straits that they can't afford the proposed cost of $5,000-$10,000 for the suit.
- Footage has been captured of a rare Caribbean mammal who can inject prey with venom through its teeth. It also looks a bit like Dobby the House Elf. Maybe J.K. Rowling took inspiration from the Hispaniolan solenodon?