Also in today's links: a grisly ad, and an ugly root vegetable.
- King Roy G. Biv Cried Oh Here Are The Pizzas Your Very Educated Mother Bought. Here is a compilation of mnemonics to help you remember everything from the bones of the skull to the speed of light.
- Are all records worth breaking? A contender for world's largest potato, recently grown by a Lebanese man, does not look very tasty.
- Researchers found that swelling of the brain is responsible for many deaths on Mount Everest, and also determined that 1.3 percent of climbers who go above the base camp die. I don't like those odds.
- The way some untrained players can develop strategies for solving sudoku indicates human's capacity for deductive reasoning, according to a new study.
- We understand the urgency of convincing people that they need to take better care of the earth. But this ad from the World Wildlife Fund is just ... upsetting. (It also takes on new shades of meaning if you've recently read Cormac McCarthy's The Road.) To read the explanation on the ad firm's Web site, click on "Work," then on the thumbnail of the ad.