We want to be in that number
Posted 11.11.2008 at 2:56 pm
Ants, plus good news for commuters, polluters, and more, in today's link collection.
- Ants help their fellow ants avoid traffic jams, which scientists hope could help humans understand and alleviate congestion issues. There was no mention of whether ants traveling busier routes flip each other the bird, but this may be due to their lack of fingers.
- A better understanding of real-world evolution holds some potential for using "lethal mutagenesis" as a weapon against viruses.
- Another possible answer to the question of what the heck do we do with all this CO2: soak it up with peridotite, a rock found mainly in Oman.
- If you have a pacemaker, remove your headphones before you read this: magnets in the earbuds can cause your heart to skip a beat.
- Among the hundreds of thousands of refugees forced to flee fighting in Congo are the wildlife rangers who protect a quarter of the world's population of mountain gorillas. There has been no word on the 200 gorillas' safety, but their former caretakers are worried they'll be caught in the crossfire.