Build an Xbox 360 Elite Laptop
Time: 100 hours
Easy | | | | | Hard
1. Design an aluminum laptop case in Illustrator and have it routed on a CNC machine. "Skin" the outside with plastic engraving material, and etch the surface details with a laser engraver.
2. Cut the Xbox Live Vision camera out of its plastic housing and mount it beneath the LCD display area. Strip a small keyboard down to its keys, circuitry, and USB hub, and install it in the case.
3. Take apart an Xbox console, and then install its DVD drive, motherboard, hard drive and 35 mm exhaust fans in the laptop base.
4. Rewire an ATX power connector to include the LCD and Xbox power signals in one plug. Handwire the HDMI converter cable to the motherboard on the LCD.
5. Cut open some store-bought computer speakers and install one on either side of the machine, along with the audio amp.single page
Five amazing, clean technologies that will set us free, in this month's energy-focused issue. Also: how to build a better bomb detector, the robotic toys that are raising your children, a human catapult, the world's smallest arcade, and much more.