Bio Soil Enhancers Forage Boost
Farmers and ranchers worldwide use about 180 million tons of nitrogen fertilizer every year, much of which eventually runs into waterways and oceans, causing algae blooms that kill aquatic life. The mix of more than 30 microbes in Forage Boost could eliminate all other fertilizer use on the planet's eight billion acres of pasture grass. Forage Boost's microbes replace naturally occurring ones that are lost in overfarmed soil, increasing productivity by locking nitrogen in the soil and breaking down organic waste into useful nutrients. The treatment increases grass yield by some 20 percent over standard fertilizer. And because microbes create micro-channels in the soil structure, water runoff decreases by about half, reducing watering needs. From $40/gallon
how about a URL where we can learn more about this stuff and buy it.
I googled "forage Boost" and didn't see any web site for it.
Also, I think you mean that it has 30 types of microbes in it,
not just 30 microbes. Shoot the editor.
Here you go: www.sumagrow.com/About_Our_Products.html
You can find out more about this product and purchase it at www.auroraagra.com or call (601)261-0820
Links to products (either with the articles or table near the end of each issue in the magazine) would be appreciated.
aquaken points to www.sumagrow.com/About_Our_Products.html .
Aurora Agra gives www.auroraagra.com
Neither site show where one can find the product or information about how to use it. What is the concentration factor? If I can find who carries this locally, how many sq.ft. will a gallon cover and how often should it be re-applied?
Is there any replicated trial data to support the claims for the "wonder" product? If not, I think you have been had. Products like this have been marketed to farmers for decades, if not centuries. A google search for information leads mostly to the listing of this material in Pop Sci. The sales men for these biologic wonder products make them sound wonderful, and that it must be the colusion of ag researchers and big business that keeps tham off the market. As one of those researchers I can staate that that is not so. They market heavily, try and get a IPO and cash out quicly and fade into the background. For an example check Farm Builders Biochem from a couple decades ago.
A typical acre of soil contains billions of billions of microbes. If a soil is low on organic matter and microbes, one gallon of a this product will not have near enough microbes to help on a large scale. Also, forages, tend to be at less risk for nitrogen losses because of the perennial root systems. I have never worked with this product, but I have tested ones with similar claims. I think this sounds more like popular science fiction than popular science.
There are replicated trials on this product and there are also numerous ongoing trials in many regions of the US as well as countries like China, India, the Dominican Republic, and Mexico. The replicated trials range from greenhouse trials to field trials. The product has been tested on a number of crops ranging from many types of forages to row crops, such as corn, soybeans, cotton, rice, and wheat to vegetable and fruit crops, as well as specialty crops. Tests include trials conducted by several universities, the USDA ARS, independent research companies, and field trials with actual growers.
The product contains more than 30 different strains naturally isolated soil microbes at a minimum concentration of 10 to the 12th. The microbes are derived from pure parental stock and are suspended in a liquid humate carrier at a pH of 7.0.
Research to this point indicates that the product performs well in many types of applications and across a spectrum of crop types. Forage Boost, just like any other fertilization or soil amendment product, is not a "silver bullet". All products have their limitations, including N,P,K fertilizers. However, it does provide good performance while allowing for reduction or even elimination of chemical fertilizers.
Recommended application rates as determined by prior research, in most situations, are 1.0 gallons/acre applied at the start of the growing season, or a split application of 0.5 ga/ac at the start of the growing season and 0.5 ga/ac approximately 4 weeks later. It is recommended that the product be diluted 10:1 to 20:1 with water prior to application. It can be broadcast or band sprayed or applied through irrigation systems.
I am assuming you are the author of this article:
I like it when the author comes back to defend/expand upon their article. it shows that you guys really know your stuff. sometimes people don't realized the necessity for brevity in these articles. In this article in particular you have just added so much to your credibility in acknowledging that there is often controversy over whether a new product is real or not. As readers we don't usually see whether you have fact checked or not, so it is nice to see that the research has been done.
-if you aren't the author of the article then feel free to disregard what I have said... but you are still awesome for looking into this stuff for everyone. -All hail the fact checkers-
One gallon per acre? That seems like such a small amount. A 50 lb bag of typical lawn fertilizer will only cover a max of about 14000 sq ft, so with 43560 sq ft in an acre this claim seems unreasonable. Not to mention 40$ per acre is a great price. A 50 lb bag of fertilizer is just over 40$. However, if the claims are true then this is amazing due to the extreme environmental damage fertilizer does.
Can a residential consumer buy this? Or does it need to be bought in enormous quantities?
Also, as a subscriber of your magazine I would have like to have seen more information on this. I understand the need for briefness, but other categories had follow up articles on their top innovation of the year.
This may or may not be an improvement.
"FORAGE BOOST Is a formulation of major and secondary nutrients "
It seem to be fertilizer to me.
I am very familiar with these type of products. I use them every day in my business with great success.The one gallon per acre application mixed at 10-20 to 1 ga. is not sufficient in my experience. At the top 20 gallon per acre mixture I have found that 20 gallons of any liquid does not sufficiently wet an acre of ground or its crop.
I spray my all natural concentrated mixture containing biological soil enhancers (and many other ingrediants)at the rate of 3 to 5 gallons of product per acre mixed with water and applied at the rate of 30 to 55 gallons per acre for good coverage and wetting. I also include in this mixture a natural suffactant for sticking and reducing leaching or run-off.
This can be done as stated in the $30 -$50 per/acre.
There are many of these type products out there and some are better than others.
If its made of microbes, couldn't something like compost tea be used to just breed it out? Meaning, couldn't I just buy one container and then breed it out for however many acres I needed at whatever concentrations I needed to? It seems kind of like a one-time sell of a product. Would be really curious to see research on the strains they went with, why they went with those strains, and a database of other similar strains. Their site (from the links other commenters provided) say that these are organic, can they be gm'd to be even more aggressive both in reproduction and capability? Relative to Crop Doctor's comment, it would seem that strains that are heavy carbon fixers could also be added that would not only sequester carbon, but also increase microbial (organic matter) as well as carbon into the soil to provide for a better growth medium?
Really like the idea, and even if it hasn't worked in the past, I don't see anything conceptually wrong with it such that it shouldn't be able to work now... even IF this specific product itself doesn't work.
Also see where a lot of fertilizer companies are going to feel very very threatened by this.
I am thrilled to see the industry looking at products like FORAGE BOOST, couple of observations: First the web site states that it "allows to grow organically" big differece between being "Certified Organic" by a State board or National organization, and growing plants organically....everything that comes from the Earth is organic.
The product appears to be liquid humates together with a multi-strain bacterial inoculum. There are a number of such products on the market and we have yet to trial one that works well with other products on the market or gives a better result.
The greenhouse trial posted on their site is a "BIG" statement. The posted forage trial shows a yield increase with their product when compared against the addition of 275 pounds per acre of 3=2=1. That is an application of only 8.25 pounds per acre of nitrogen.
The forage trial showing cattle weight gain on forage treated with their product compared to NPK fertilized forage shows an increased daily weight gain of 1%. Others (the one we know) trialed in the Netherlands by addition to the standard feed increased weight gain by 8%.
We use a liquid product that has over 80+ of all the elements on the element chart, is certified organic, is used at a 2-5 gallon to 100 gallons water ratio, and is priced nearly 70% cheaper. One should be asking for documents and information from any company that is making claims, ask or look for,
• Improved nutrient and water uptake
• Improved root growth
• Improved plant growth and yield
• Reduced transplant shock
• Reduced drought stress
• Parasitic nematode control
Will share our studies and information, but in respect to PS and Forage Boost, I won't here..........
@SelCzar I would be interested in your studies, you can contact me at franciefinn1 at gmail dot com. thanks!
We have posted a lot of data and results at www.thegrowpros.com.
Reduce cost & increase yield!
Please note that we have first hand customers and testimonials to share. We are here to answer your questions and ensure you are comfortable with the best quality product out there!
Come see and talk to LCO experts hat can answer your questions from lawns to crops. Hear what they have to say in person and go to our site to learn more. We have farmers and Landscapers in over 25 states
Reduce inputs costs while increasing yields and value of your lawn or crops.
Mr Clemintime- Yes the product can be bought in small amounts and you can buy them directly at www.SumaGreen.com
We are more then happy to work and take you through the steps of giving your forage the proper treatment.
It's hard to believe that one product can be so beneficiary in so many ways. There's obviously no silver bullet in agriculture for all plants and crops, soils, climates, etc., but this just might be the closest.
There are 30 different microbes in this mixture, and there are hundreds of trillions per milliliter. Most microbial products have one or two functions. SumaGrow products have six. I've listed those below from the www.earthcarewithsumagrow.com website.
Amazingly, tests have been done across the U.S. in India, China, Greece, Kenya, Nicaragua, Honduras, Mexico, etc., and SumaGrow products have been tested in forage grasses, turf fames, golf courses, berries, corn, soybeans, coffee, bell peppers, and many others.
In every case thus far, there have been incredible results. Yield is increased, sometimes incredibly.
Maturation is quicker. A strawberry farmer in Mexico using SumaGrow products went to market 12 days earlier than normal and only began using the product at about halfway to harvest.
Diseases are thwarted. In numerous tests on coffee plants, the dreaded fungus called roya, which is decimating coffee crops throughout Central America, has been no match for SumaGrow products. After two applications, the fungus is all but obliterated.
The brix levels in SumaGrown crops tend to make them more resistant to pests who can't digest them.
Roots grow stronger and deeper, and some of the microbes store water near the surface; therefore, the average savings in water usage is 20%.
SumaGrow costs 30% less than complete NPK fertilizer, and 50 - 80% less than most other organic fertilizers.
It is advised that NPK fertilizer be decreased by 50 - 80% while using SumaGrow products; thus creating a huge cost-savings as well as greatly-reduced chemical abuse of the soil and chemical runoff.
Here are the functions. Visit www.earthcarewithsumagrow.com for more information. Then call to get all of your questions answered and to order product to apply.
* BIOLOGICAL NITROGEN FIXATION--Ninety five to ninety nine percent of nitrogen in the soil is in an organic form that is not available for uptake by plants. In addition, although 78% of the earth's atmosphere is nitrogen, it is also generally not available for plant use. However, Mother Nature has a solution - microbes. Microbes play an important and necessary part in the nitrogen cycle. Our microbial formulation unlocks bound soil nitrogen and absorbs nitrogen from the air for optimum plant growth and development.
*PHOSPHATE SOLUBILIZATION--Phosphate is needed for plant growth and health. However, phosphates are often present in a bound form that is unavailable to plants. Earthcare with SumaGrow's microbial formulation solubilizes the bound phosphates and makes them available to the plant in a useable form. Phosphate is involved in plant photosynthesis, respiration, energy storage and transfer, cell division and enlargement. Some of the specific benefits of Phosphate include:
** Promotion of early root formation and growth,
** Improved quality(Brix value) of fruits, vegetables and grains,
** Initiation of seed formation,
** Assurance of plant survival during harsh winter conditions,
** Substantial increase in water-use efficiency
* MOBILIZATION AND MINERALIZATION OF AVAILABLE PLANT NUTRIENTS--It is not enough that a soil contains an element or mineral. What matters is its availability to plants. Mobilizing and mineralizing soil nutrients, such as bound Phosphate, Magnesium and Calcium into a form that is available for plant uptake and efficient use is a vital role of the microorganisms contained in Earthcare with SumaGrow. Some of the additional benefits from the components of Earthcare with SumaGrow include the following,
** Promoting other Nitrogen-fixing bacteria that live in the soil to the
conversion process of ammonium into a form plants can use,
** Aiding in the process of nitrifying bacteria that convert ammonium into
NO2 and then into NO3, which is a form of nitrogen that plants can
** Enhancement of various decomposers(including bacteria and fungi)
that break down organic forms of nitrogen into ammonium, where the
nitrifying bacteria can continue the conversion to NO3
* PHYTOHORMONE PRODUCTION--Phytohormones are plant growth regulators and allows the appropriate nutrients to be available during the different growth stages of a plant/crop and its various parts. For example, at the time of flowering a plant will have increased nitrogen needs. Earthcare with SumaGrow's formulation of microbes are vital in providing the plant with the necessary means of absorbing the appropriate amounts of nutrients it needs at the stage it needs them. This gives crops the opportunity to reach optimum growth and yield at the earliest time, all at a reduced costs.
* BIOLOGICAL CONTROL AGENT--Our proprietary formulation inhibits plant pathogens and enhances the plant's natural defense mechanism. This bio-control function is comprised predominately of Trichoderma strains. These specialized strains generally grow on the root surface and are effective against root disease in particular, but are also effective against foliar diseases. Our formulation also increases the plant's resistance against pests. Pests recognize the higher sugar content of treated plants and forages, and because most pests lack a liver and cannot digest high concentrations of amino acids, this makes plants an unattractive nutrient for such pests.
* SAPROPHYTIC SOIL COMPETENCE--Saprophytic competency of microbes n the formulation of Earthcare with SumaGrow is one of the major challenges to the practical utilization of improved commercial inoculants competitiveness and persistence in the soil against less efficient native strains. Test results show that our formulation is highly competent and usable in any soil. Our formulation captures additional water and available nutrients from naturally occurring organic matter in the soil for the plant's use. this enables plants to better sustain adverse environmental conditions such as variations in soil pH and moisture issues.
* PROMOTES A HEALTHY SOIL pH--Soil pH has strong effects on the availability of most nutrients to plants. This is because pH affects both the chemical forms and solubility of nutrient elements. The ideal soil pH for many crops is to be slightly acidic, or in a pH range of 5.8 to 7.0, because in that range there is a well-balanced availability for all nutrients. This pH range also promotes an active and diverse soil microbial population and is a healthy range for earthworms and other soil organisms. It has been shown that acid tolerant bacterial strains can more readily generate a pH gradient when grown in acid conditions and can subsequently maintain a more constant internal pH. Earthcare with SumaGrow specifically balances the soil to a pH level that allows the enhancement of all plant growth.
In order to assure readily and efficient use and storage, Earthcare with SumaGrow's microbial formulation is suspended in a 12% acid carrier and is stabilized at a pH of 7.0, which allows it to effectively work in various climates and soil conditions. These humates act as a carbon food source for the microbial formulation, are high in organic matter and contain micronutrients, such as calcium, magnesium, zinc and manganese.
Our new SumaGrow inside website can be found at www.topsoilusa.com
We are featuring ReeCourse for Turf Grass, Tall Harvest for farm and garden and Forage Boost for forage and hay crops. Our products are of course 100% Organic fertilizers with SumaGrow inside.